Fish Report for 1-3-2020
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
Highlights from this week’s Recreation Report:
Time to report your hunt
Hunters have until Jan. 31 to report their 2019 hunts. If you purchased a tag, reporting is mandatory even if you didn’t hunt or harvest an animal.
Upcoming shotgun skills, small game and predator hunting workshops
- Basic Shotgun Skills, Jan. 12, EE Wilson Wildlife Area, Monmouth
- Small Game Clinic, Jan. 18, EE Wilson Wildlife Area, Monmouth
- Bear and Cougar Workshop, Jan. 28, Denman Wildlife Area, Central Point
Whale watching on the coast
During the winter, nearly 25,000 gray whales travel along the Oregon coast on their way to the warm lagoons of Baja Mexico (lucky whales). This migration will continue until mid-January, and Oregon State Parks lists 24 whale watching spots along the coast where you can enjoy the show.
Best bets for fishing
- Recent rains have moved winter steelhead into many coastal rivers. Fishing will be best when water levels begin to drop after a good rain.
- Broodtrout stocking in Willamette Valley fisheries continues this week.
- As long as access permits, fishing for holdover trout can continue to be good in several waterbodies including Fish Lake, Howard Prairie Reservoir and Lost Creek Reservoir.
- Anglers have been catching fish through the ice on Phillips Reservoir, Lofton Reservoir and Yellowjacket Lake.
- Trout anglers should target the Crooked, lower Deschutes, Metolius, Klamath, Blitzen and Owyhee rivers, where fishing for native redbands is open throughout the year. Here are 7 tips for winter trout fishing.
Steelhead fishing closure in Columbia River upstream of McNary Dam extended through March 31Columbia River
CLACKAMAS, Ore.—Fishery managers in Oregon and Washington are extending the Columbia River steelhead fishing closure upstream of McNary Dam to...... Read More
OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Reportsfor Thursday, December 5th, 2019
Tillamook Bay: Apply by Jan. 31 to serve on new Tillamook Bay Clam Advisory Committee: Find out more at Dec. 16 public meeting in Tillamook
: Highlights From This Week’s Recreation Report:
Wilson River: Die-off prompts ODFW to close Wilson River to salmon angling
: Low flow angling closures on South Coast rivers lifted December 7
Website Hosting and Design provided by TECK.net