Fish Report for 3-19-2020
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
Highlights from this week’s Recreation Report:
ODFW cancellations and closures
- All hunter education classes/field days, skills workshops, volunteer trainings, Family Fishing events and other volunteer-led activities are cancelled until at least April 13.
- All ODFW state-owned hatcheries are closed to public access and visitors. Trout stocking in lakes and ponds will continue for now.
- The March 20 meeting of the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has been cancelled.
- Several other ODFW-related events also have been cancelled. Please contact the meeting organizer for the latest information.
Best bets for weekend fishing
Fishing has not been cancelled, and with some good weather and liberal trout stocking there’s no reason to postpone either.
- It will be a good week for trout anglers in most fishing zones, as dozens of waterbodies are scheduled to be stocked this week.
- If you’re spending time at the coast, both surfperch and bay clamming should be good.
- Steelhead anglers continue to catch bright steelhead in the deeper pools of the South Fork Coquille River.
- There are a lot of fish in Garrison Lake. Fishing is good, so go catch some.
- Bank anglers willing to do a little walking on the Elk River have been very successful catching steelhead.
- Both bank and boat anglers have been catching a healthy number of trout at Hills Creek Reservoir.
- Anglers should find plenty of holdover trout as well as kokanee in Detroit Reservoir.
- Marr Pond has been stocked with surplus steelhead. This is a good opportunity for little kids to catch big fish.
- Finally, don’t forget the leftovers. Trout stocked last summer and fall, and that didn’t go home in a cooler, can overwinter in larger lakes and reservoirs. With the onset of warmer weather, these larger, hungry fish get more active and ready to bite.
Things To Do This Week Outdoors
From trout fishing to wildlife viewing and clamming, here is a list of good outdoor activities you can participate in...... Read More
ODFW Recreation Report
Highlights from this week’s Recreation Report: Register now for April turkey hunting clinics There are clinics for both youth and adults. At...... Read More
Website Hosting and Design provided by TECK.net