Fish Report for 3-25-2021
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
2021 spring bear hunting forecast
Just in time for the opening of the spring bear hunting season next week, the 2021 spring bear hunting forecast offers a district-by-district look at the upcoming season.
Best bets for weekend fishing
So far, the weather seems to be cooperating for some great fishing during spring break.
- Trout anglers will want to check out the 2021 stocking schedule to see which waterbodies have been stocked recently.
- This is the last weekend to fish for winter steelhead in several coastal streams and rivers. Be sure to check the regulations for where you plan to fish.
- The Alsea, Siletz, Wilson and Nestucca rivers will be the best steelhead opportunities on the north and mid-coast.
- In the SW Zone, our local biologists suggest Lost Creek, Willow, Selmac and Garrison lakes, as well as Cooper Creek Reservoir for some weekend fishing.
- Bright chrome steelhead are still being caught in the middle and upper Rogue.
- This will the last weekend for steelhead fishing in the Illinois and Applegate where there are fresh fish in the system but where both will close next week.
- Lots of trout are going into waterbodies in the SW zone, including Lake Selmac, Lost Creek Reservoir, Willow Lake, Cooper Creek Reservoir and Garrison Lake.
- Anglers have been catching bright chrome winter steelhead in the middle and upper Rogue.
- Several waterbodies in the Willamette Valley will be stocked with trout this week, including Alton Baker, Cottage Grove (Pond and Reservoir) Dexter, Dorena, EE Wilson, Sunnyside, Timber Linn, Walling and Waverly.
- Anglers are reporting good fishing and active insect hatches during the warmest parts of the day on the Fall and Metolius rivers, and the Deschutes between Lake Billy Chinook and Benham Falls.
- In the Klamath area, Upper Klamath Lake will be your best bet for wild, native trophy trout.
- Warmwater anglers should try Gerber Reservoir and Dog Lake for yellow perch, and Willow Valley Reservoir for bass.
- Priday Reservoir was recently stocked with 200 trophy-size rainbow trout.
- Steelhead have moved into the lower Imnaha and Wallowa River canyons, and river conditions on the Imnaha and Wallowa Rivers are great for fishing.
- Wallowa Lake is open and anglers have been catching some kokanee.
New interagency map shows wildfire impacts on recreation
Hunters, anglers and wildlife viewers will be living with the impacts of the 2020 wildfire season for a long time. To help you navigate the status of popular recreation sites, natural resource management agencies in Oregon have released an interagency status mapthat shows open, closed and reduced service areas on a single map, regardless of reason for closure.
Introduction to hunting big game in Oregon
This two-hour course will provide new adult hunters with a broad overview of hunting in Oregon and more specifically the knowledge to get started on their big game hunting journey. Check for dates and times, and to register for an upcoming course.
PFMC Salmon Hearings
The Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) will be holding a series of public hearings on the ocean salmon season alternatives...... Read More
Commission adopts new regulations for growing market squid fishery
SALEM, Ore.—The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission today adopted regulations for the commercial market squid fishery, which has grown in...... Read More
Website Hosting and Design provided by TECK.net