Fish Report for 5-27-2021
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
This is a holiday weekend
Take the family fishing!
Easy Angling Oregon includes 101 family-friendly, biologist-recommended places to take the family fishing throughout the state. Don’t have a lot of time and would like to stay close to home? Here are lots of locations close to Portland, Bend, Roseburg, Medford, within Lane County and on the South Coast.
Best bets for holiday weekend fishing
Our bios are reporting some good fishing throughout the state – just in time for a long weekend. Here are the major themes:
* Stocked trout. Dozens of waterbodies have been stocked just in time for the long weekend. And at many family-friendly locations.
* Bass, crappie and other warmwater fish. Water temperatures are heating up and so is the fishing.
* Spring Chinook. Anglers are catching spring Chinook on the North Coast; on the Rogue and Umpqua rivers; and the lower Columbia reopens to springer on May 29. The recent rains may have put some fish on the move.
* Ocean salmon, halibut and rockfish. If ocean conditions allow boats to get out, fishing this time of year can be great. Numerous commercial charters along the coast help make these fisheries accessible to almost everyone.
* Shad. The fish are running on the Umpqua, Coquille and Columbia rivers.
* Walleye. Fishing continues to be good or better in the John Day and The Dalles pools on the Columbia.
Check out the zone reports for more details, including occasional updates on wipers, striped bass and kokanee.
Tips for cutthroat trout fishing
Coastal rivers and streams now open for trout
Cutthroat trout in Oregon’s coastal rivers and streams is a popular summer fishery. Resident cutthroat are available now, and look for sea-run cuts to start entering the rivers in July/August. If you’re new to cutthroat trout fishing, we’ve got some tips.
New map shows wildfire impacts on recreation
Includes a boat ramp status map
Natural resource agencies in Oregon have teamed up to create an interagency status map that shows open, closed and reduced service areas on a single map, regardless of reason for closure. The map now also includes an updated boat ramp status map.
Register for shotgun skills, pheasant hunting workshops
ODFW is offering several of its popular shotgun skills and pheasant hunting workshops beginning in June. A shotgun skills class is a prerequisite to a pheasant hunting workshop. These classes fill quickly, so sign up soon. See more details and register.
Retention of some rockfish species is temporarily prohibited beginning June 1
NEWPORT, Ore – Beginning June 1, retention of copper, quillback, and China rockfish when fishing from a boat is prohibited...... Read More
States set additional Columbia River spring Chinook fishing daysColumbia River
CLACKAMAS, Ore.—Fishery managers from Oregon and Washington added extra fishing days for recreational spring Chinook salmon and steelhead (one day...... Read More
Website Hosting and Design provided by TECK.net