Flows above Prospect seem to have leveled of

Rogue River- Upper (Above Lost Creek) - Prospect, OR (Josephine County)

by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff

This is always an excellent destination to escape the Rogue Valley heat, and this weekend will be no exception. Smoke has been lighter up here with Prospect having an AQI reading of 25 on Tuesday afternoon. Smoke conditions should be pretty good here through the end of the week.  

The Rogue and tributaries above Lost Creek Reservoir remain open year-round, with a retention limit of 5 trout. Stocked trout in this reach are not fin-clipped. There are also residential cutthroat and brown trout that are periodically hooked by anglers. The river will continue to stocked with 3,500 rainbow trout each week through Labor Day weekend, between Prospect and Minnehaha Creek.  

Great techniques up here include throwing small Panther Martin spinners or small hooks with a single Pautske fire egg under a bobber. You also can’t go wrong fishing nymphs up here, or nightcrawlers under a bobber.

Flows above Prospect seem to have leveled off and are 290 cfs. The river flow below prospect is approximately 500 cfs. Many reaches in this section of river have bed rock crevices and wading can be tough. However, there are great trails and openings along the river throughout the stocked reach, which provide good access. The river gradient lessens above Farewell Bend toward Minnehaha Creek. 

Smoke as of late has been pretty light in this area compared to the rest of southwestern Oregon. ODOT trip checkmaintains a camera at Union Creek (OR62), where you can get an idea of weather and smoke levels, or check out the AQI index around Prospect. 

The Rogue River Siskiyou National Forest Lands are in extreme fire danger and recently implemented Stage 3 fire restrictions. Only commercial stoves fired by liquid fuel or propane are permitted. All campfires, even in developed recreation sites are now prohibited forest wide. More information on Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest lands can be found on their website or calling the RRSNF office.